Saturday, February 16, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Well, here I am, on my birthday, resolving to "get with the program!" I've had the book for about a week and a half, but I haven't read more than the first 2 pages, and that was 1 week ago! My first goal is to find some time for myself, and get into the book.

I know what I should be doing for a healthy lifestyle, but I can't seem to embrace it. Lack of exercise and lots of food, cookies, candy, they all get in the way. It doesn't help that I sit at a desk all day either! Our compound at work has 5 buildings, and there's a really nice woodsy walking trail that goes by the lake an such, but I don't want to walk on my lunch hour because I don't want to get sweaty! Some people actually walk/run at lunch and then take a shower and go right back to work! That's not my style. I wonder what is my style anyway??

I'm open to counseling on how to just "do it!'

2 comments:

Roberta said...

Yes! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, indeed! A perfect time to reflect on health goals for the coming year. Speaking as one of those people who "gets sweaty" during lunch (yesterday I took a yoga class), and sometimes showers and sometimes doesn't, I have found that the positives very much outweigh the negatives (pun intended). #1 I don't have the opportunity to go out to overeat a big take out lunch- i bring something that I can easily eat at my desk, like chili, soup, yogurt, or leftovers; #2 My afternoon becomes much more like my morning, in that I am energized and productive throughout the day with less slumps; #3 It is a great stress reliever- I don't think I would have lasted this long at my job if I haven't been working out regularly; #4 You meet workout buddies that share similar goals and support your efforts.
The hardest part of working out at work is starting. My ego wishes I was in "better shape" just to work out. I do admit that undressing next to Ms. hardbutt/thongbutt/tattoobut/cute boobs/ohthatswhatabslooklike is humbling. But I also know that when I see someone in the locker room that has challenges beyond mine, that I have GREATER admiration for them. Because ultimately, I know it was a lot harder for them just to walk in that door. Let alone exercise next to Ms. hb/tb/tb/cb/otwall in a class full of mirrors. But in the years that I have worked out in a gym, I have also witnessed amazing transformations. That really is a beautiful thing to see. The good news is that once you start, it is so much easier to continue. But YOU know that, because you have done it before, with your kickboxing and walking efforts.

beans said...

Cathy,

I agree....The Happy Birthday to you !!. I have been meaning to call you all day. I admire the fact that you were up and at it at 6:30 am......I was just turning over for another good 4 hours !!

Berta is such a motivator. I feel encouraged by her, but again, I feel like I need more than the voice in my head to get me up and downstairs to exercise.

I'm siging up at the library for the book on CD. I've had the book since Christmas and am on Chapter 6 (I'll admit James Patterson gets in the way) I'm hoping to listen in the car. I kind of feel like not having read the entire book is keeping me back...kinda strange, I know, but it's like.."weell, I'll wait to start until I finish the book"
Well, I'm going to sign off now....time for a snack (just kidding!)

I really need spell check :)