On this past Tuesday evening, I was out with Aidan, coming back from a trip to the Cleveland Heights library on Lee Rd, and made a stop at the United Dairy Farmers store at the corner of my street to buy milk. As we headed toward the door, a man entering before us held the door. I was standing in front of the cooler, trying to decide whether to buy a 1/2 gallon of milk for $2.69, or 2 milks for $4.00, or one milk, one O.J. for $4.00. I didn't see the orange juice, and was considering one white, one chocolate milk, when I noticed the man who had held the door waiting for me to make a selection. I stepped away to let him open the cooler, and then Aidan asked me for a candy bar. I said okay, so he said, "Grandma, can I have TWO candy bars?"
"No, only one", I said. "Grandma only has enough money for one".
Now I was standing at the counter with two 1/2 gallons of milk, waiting for Aidan. The man who had held the door, and whose purchase I had impeded, was at the cashier in front of me. He turned to me and held out a $10 bill without saying anything, but nodding toward Aidan. I declined the money, thanking him but saying we were fine. He continued to hold out the bill, and when I again said I couldn't take it, he said "Please. My grandfather taught me this." So I accepted the money, and he completed his own purchase and left, waving away my thank yous and my attempt to make him at least wait for his change.
I was so moved by this interaction, this gift from nowhere from a stranger, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Since Mom's 90th birthday would have been tomorrow, naturally I have been thinking about her too, more than ever. Was that you, Mom, recognizing yourself in me as I stood at the cooler weighing the pros and cons of one or two half gallons of milk and the money saved versus the money spent when you only had $5 to spend? Was that you, Mom, seeing one of your great-grandchildren sweetly begging for candy, and you unable to resist? I want to believe that unexplained good events are somehow due to your influence, especially when they occur so close to your birthday. Thanks, Mom, and Happy Birthday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sheilagh, thanks for writing about Mom's spirit there in the store. I really liked it. Tom.
Post a Comment