Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Annie's Girls blog began so that Annie's seven daughters would have a forum to discuss books about health. Health is a broad subject, and we intend to use it in its broadest sense- to read and discuss books about all types of health- physical, spiritual, financial, and emotional.
3 comments:
Wow Agnes, this one is a mind-bender. Or else my cold (as in sniff sniff cough cough) and my hot flashes (help me!) have left me with a brain drain. If I am understanding his point, it is that if one has already placed judgement on an issue, it prevents that person from exploring the issue, and therefore that person does not learn anything and remains ignorant. Now...how to relate that to plastic spoons for ice cream? I would say that if one is a silverware snob (as I have been known to be on occasion) and has such contempt for plastic spoons that they would not even venture to eat the ice cream if that was all that was available, then that person would certainly miss out on learning that when it comes to ice cream, plastic can even be preferential, as the ice cream will not make the spoon so cold as to further contribute to an ice cream headache. Another benefit of the plastic spoon that they would not learn is that the plastic spoon can be disposed of, and one can completely hide the fact that they ate ice cream at all-at least until it shows up on the hips...
hilarious, Berta, and you got it exactly right! I was talking to Ruthie about my love for ice cream, and she mentioned plastic spoons, and outlined her reasoning as you have. But I was like "NEVER!!!!!!!!" then I thought about one of my favorite quotes....and realized how my contempt for plastic spoons was keeping me from experiencing possible nirvana whilst eating my favorite treat! Another benefit from eating ice cream with plastic, is that it actually TASTES BETTER, because you don't have the silverware taste ruining your ice cream.... Anyway, since I have come across this tidbit of wisdom from Mr.Spencer, whenever I feel judgemental, I try and apply my investigative skills...doesn't always work, but hey...progress not perfection!
For me, the quote was like the fancied-up version of "don't judge a book by its cover", or any other admonition to watch out for prejudice of any kind. And, thank you, Berta, I was really thrown by the plastic spoon headline, too. I figured it was the brain freeze. The bad thing about plastic spoons is that they will break if they're flimsy and the ice cream is frozen solid. The happy medium is stainless, not silver. Or a cone.
Post a Comment