Saturday, January 31, 2009

I am done!

My fingers feel like they got smashed in the door
My legs are too heavy to lift off the floor.

My toes are as numb as a long day sled riding
My body hairs are still in hiding.

Yeast thinks it has found a new home,
and Tom is not likely to go there to roam.

My weight has skyrocketed up to new heights
and daily with my pants button I fight.

I put my feet up and cut the salt
really people, it's not my fault.

Food is not my friend anymore
what used to taste good now tastes like a chore.

My bones are so achy, they are so tired
to exercise I would truly need to be inspired.

My eyelids- this is such a bitch
just twitch , twitch, twitch.

My eyes won't stop tearing and not cause I'm sad
It's the chemo blues that has my body so bad.

The good news is I am done I am done
I am done I am done I am done.


Yes! It feels go good to be done with chemotherapy! Some things, like my taste, seem to be getting a little better each day. They tell me the heaviness and swelling will probably get worse before it gets better, but that by about the end of February I should be feeling more like myself again.

I met with the radiation oncologist this week. I will go to the Clinic next Friday for a "simulation". This is where they do a CAT scan to determine where and how to aim the radiation. After they complete their computations, about a week later, I will begin radiation therapy. Everyday except Saturday and Sunday for 5 weeks they will aim radiation at the entire breast. The final week, they will do a "boost" and aim the radiation directly at the site of the tumor.

So, I am counting the days. Looks like I will have something besides Spring and 1/2 an inch of hair to celebrate around the end of March. I remember when I was first diagnosed I saw a new doctor for a nasty sore throat. When she was taking my history and I told her I was just diagnosed with breast cancer, she looked at me and kindly remarked, "This is going to be a long year." I had no idea what she was talking about but I guess now I do. It is sometimes hard for me to fathom that I was diagnosed in mid-August. That's 7 months of active treatment! Yikes.

4 comments:

Agnes said...

yay!

Johnny P said...

I think it's a good poem for bad chemo, it made me laugh! Congratulations Bert, I sure do love you.

Mary said...

I really liked your poem, Berta. It is hard for me to know that you have been through all of this, I feel helpless. I wish we could fast forward right now to Sisters weekend, then for sure it would all be over with, and you'd be back to feeling like your old self, minus a few hormones. Don't worry, I've been like that for close to 10 years! Oops, maybe I should not have told you that part....!! Love you, Berta, and thanks again for putting our weekend into action! Oh yeah, I bet John Joe laughed loudest and the "not roaming" part! hee, hee...

Anonymous said...

I love the way the poem initially seems to channel Dr. Suess, but as it goes along, the reader realizes that the author, while clever, is NOT HAVING FUN!!! All I know is, Roberta, you and chemo have teamed up to kick some serious cancer ass!!! It's great to know that on our Sisters Weekend, we can also celebrate the "Long Year" coming to an end, and rejoice in new beginnings and better days ahead. Love you