Saturday, November 29, 2008
Who or What does your God look like?
In "It's Not About the Hair", Debra Jarvis describes her vision of God the Father as a combination of Martha Stewart (before she was a felon) and Mr. Miyagi from the "Karate Kid". Wax on, wax off. What is your vision of God? Do you have a clear image of God? What do you think of Debra's version?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think it may have started with the story of the burning bush, but I have often imagined God as a warm white light. Knowing that we are all created in God's image makes me want to try and humanize the form, but choosing any particular person would be hard. I heard once that white is considered to be all colors in one, so this image makes sense to me.
That being said, I love Debra's version. I think more than anything it makes her so accessible. She is not a bible toting, bible quoting, "holier than thou" believer. She is down to earth.
When I was a kid,, and I used to pray, I visualized Jesus, because I couldn't visualize his dad, or the Holy Ghost! Recently, I have become more aware of the simple things around me, and I feel God in the people I meet, the warmth of a breeze, or a touch, or a look. I have a conscious connection with the God of my understanding that stays with me as long as I work on staying connected to Him. I love Debra's version of Mr. Martha Miyagi, and definatley relate! I just started reading this book, and I love her easy-going God. I like her description of the baskets of religions...its' not what is inside the basket, rather, what you get from it. (or something to that effect) I don't have the book with me!
I like what your saying, Agnes. It also sounds like the more connected you are to God's creations (people, nature), the closer you feel to God.
Oh, that makes so much sense.
Also, when I allow myself to truly feel another person's joy or pain I feel deeply connected to all people beyond space and time. Does that make me closer to God too? He goes beyond space and time, right?
I laughed at Debra's name she uses to describe the inner voice she hears...God. I understand the Mr. Miyagi part better than the Martha Stewart part; Mr. Miyagi was a very wise teacher with a sense of humor; Martha Stewart always made me feel inadequate...! Anyway, Debra is a minister who comes across as very easy to talk with, not at all judgemental or intimidating. I have always seen God in newborn babies and very old people. I also feel, like Joan of Arcadia, that God walks among us, and I truly understand Mother Theresa's belief that as she tended to each sick and dying person, she tended to God. Do I have an image of God? Well, I suppose I do humanize His form, but only because it seems natural to me. I may not know what He looks like, but I know, when I pray to Him, He is there. It's really more of a feeling for me than an image.
I think that when I am in touch with others feelings, whether it is compassion for the sick and suffering or joy for the parents of a newborn, there is a "presence" there with me, wanting me to be connected to the moment. So as far as I am concerned, Berta, YES!, that does bring you closer to God! And Ruthie, you need to watch the show "Whatever, Martha" 'cos it is her daughter, and her daughters' girlfriend that have these clips of Martha's shows and they just make sooooo much fun of her, it is hilarious! Now, what about the rest of you sissies?
Hey Ruth! A very eloquent post! Wasn't Mother Teresa cool? I remember when her writings were published recently everybody was having a fit because she expressed doubts about her faith in one of her entries. Hello? What human being doesn't? I am always so encouraged by the apostle's denial of Christ. Hey they walked with him and they still denied him. How encouraging that they were human too. Give Mother Teresa a break for a little doubt, eh?
Hey Agnes! Love your profile pic. It's like you are leaning in to talk to us.
Hey everybody else...I know that Mary and Sheilagh are reading the book, so? How about Bernie and Cathy?
Post a Comment