Monday, October 13, 2008

It's Not About the Hair

This post was actually published on October 21 (The above date is when I started the post.  It was edited and published 10/21/08). 

Tom and I arrived at my second surgery appointment yesterday to be greeted by Ruth and Bernadette.  For the hour plus wait before I was summoned to surgery, Bernie teased me with her nearly empty coffee cup.  I tried getting a fix off of the fumes alone, but to no avail; my "nothing to eat after midnight" combined with my lack of coffee and H2O induced a massive headache that was not to be relieved until they hooked me up to my IV. The surgery itself was a hoot.  Whatever drugs they gave me turned me into "Chatty Cathy" and if you heard a transcript of the 45 minutes that passed in the OR, you might think it was just a group of friends out for coffee.  

It was a short surgery but ultimately a long day; I am so glad that Tom had the company of Ruth, Bernie, and my good friend, Sharon.  From the stories he has shared, there was no lack of good conversation. I am doing great (translation: Tylenol w/codeine).  

Today I got a call from my oncologist, Halle Moore, M.D., who I had met with initially on October 2nd.  She is the doctor that will direct my systemic treatment.  As you all know, my surgeon initially told me that she thought my treatment would include surgery and radiation, and a drug to block estrogen. But after the pathology report came back from my first surgery, she mentioned chemotherapy as a possibility, and Dr. Dietz suggested that I meet with the oncologist next. When I met with Dr. Moore she ordered a chest x-ray, a bone scan, and a thoracic spine x-ray to finalize my staging and to have baseline test results (all negative). She also ordered a blood test to see where I was at hormonally; this will determine the maintenance drug that I get. 

She also ordered a special test called an oncotype DX  to determine the tendencies of this particular tumor toward recurrence.   The higher the score, the more likely that chemotherapy would be useful; whether the benefits would outweigh the risks. For once in my life, I was actually hoping for a low score! Unfortunately, my doctor explained that my seemingly low score (36 out of a possible 100) puts me in the category considered at high risk for recurrence; I will have to undergo chemotherapy.  

Boo-Hiss (I can hear Mary-"piss barm barm"). 

I will start chemo after I have had at least 3 weeks to heal from this surgery, sometime in mid November. I will have 4 treatments in all, 3 weeks apart, so I expect to be done with all that around mid February.  She reassured me that the chemotherapy regimen that she is recommending is one of the safest regimens, and it does not appear to induce other cancers or cause heart problems like some other chemo treatments. She said the greatest danger is my risk for infection, since it will suppress my immune system temporarily.  They will try to counteract that by giving me a shot to build me back up the day after chemo.  Other side effects include aches and pains in my bones that should only last a few days after treatment, and possibly neuropathy that causes numbness and tingling- she said this usually is temporary.    Alas, what you might be wondering is "Will you lose your hair?" Yes. And while we are on the subject, may I recommend a fantastic book that I read by Debra Jarvis called "It's Not About the Hair"?   Check it out for a good read. 


8 comments:

Agnes said...

well, Roberta, the good news is the fact that according to the link for the test, this determines and eradicates any recurrance that may want to sneak up on you in the future....sounds like a great treatment plan your doc's have figured out, See if they can prescribe sending you down South for some R&R between treatments. You know you are welcome anytime...and you can bring Tom, too!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Roberta I must say how it has been, is, and will continue to be very meaningful and important to me (and everyone else I'm sure) that you keep us so well informed about the situation at hand. It doesn't hurt, either, that you are such an adept writer, explaining complicated things in a simple way, all the while keeping your sense of humor. I also love that you recommend songs and books that fit the situation! I plan on reading "It's Not About the Hair" as soon as I finish reading "I Feel Bad About My Neck"! Roberta, you are so incredibly strong and more than capable of coming through all of this with shining colors...you truly are special. Love you so, Ruth

Roberta said...

Hey Agnes,
I love the way you think but -drat- chemo does not come with a money back guarantee. The way it is stated is that a "high recurrence score does not necessarily mean that the cancer will return" but "having chemotherapy now may reduce the chance that the cancer will come back in the future."

The way I choose to look at it is that even with a high recurrence score, "my" cancer would not have returned, but we are giving it a good scare just to be sure. Remember the Maori warrior dance in "the Whale Rider"? I'm thinking of chemo drugs like a Maori warrior-making those wild scary faces and grunting noises at the cancer cells so they don't even try coming ashore.

Ruth, thanks for the ego boost. Writing about this makes it less confusing for me too. And I know there is a line forming for when you finish that book, but add me to it- sounds like a great read.

Agnes said...

I prefer to live in my own reality Berta!!!! I'm going to have to get the movie "The Whale Rider" =P Cause i have no clue what your talking about xD

----------------

Hi Bertaaa!
Dis be Jack wishin ye better arrr..
Dont mind the little :P and xD i wrote this comment for my mom cause she had the soup and babiess to take care of.

LOVE YOU!!

PS: Nice bloggy thingy you guys got here.

Roberta said...

Rent Whale Rider TONIGHT!!!!

I wish I could come down there and watch it with you and Jack, while eating soup and kissing babies. I could bring Audrey!

Welcome to the blog, Jack! Come visit any time. +P, xD!!! hahahahaha

Brenda said...

Roberta, I have been checking your blog, waiting to hear how round 2 went. Thank you for this very good account of what has happened and what's next. I imagine there are knitting needles flying in Katie's hands to knit a very special hat for you. I have one here that I think would make it's own quiet statement perched upon your head. What say you to a faux leopard skin beret? OXOX to you and Tom,
Brenda

Brenda said...

Roberta, I seem to have used the same id as when I posted to Eva's blog hence the posting as Mom. Sometimes technology is too much for me. Not your momma, Brenda

Roberta said...

Well Brenda, I could use a Mom some of these days and since my Mom is currently unavailable in the physical realm, I couldn't think of a better surrogate! OK, so you are certainly not old enough to BE my Mom, but your ability to nurture and comfort even from a distance still works for me.

(I have hinted at an order for a hat with both Kate and Madeline but that leopard print beret sounds pretty fetching...)