Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Poop

Trying to think of some really uplifting, inspirational and thoughtful way to say that I have to have another surgery, but "POOP" was the only think I could muster. The good news is that the pathology report on all three lymph nodes is NEGATIVE. So no matter what, I am still Stage I.   It is just that they found ductal carcinoma close to one of the margins (this is a different and additional type of cancer than what was originally diagnosed).  I don't have my surgery date yet, but it will be in about 2 weeks.

As many of you know, I had my first surgery on September 22nd. Everything went well. Since that time, I have had the extreme good luck of having Agnes here responding to my every need, answering phones and doorbells, keeping well wishers from over"well"ming me, and most importantly, being a sister and being near. My house is full of beautiful plants and flowers, wonderful cards and an inbox with beautiful sentiments, and delicious snacks and home-cooked meals from family and friends. The airwaves are filled with prayers for me and Tom (so I apologize if your cell reception hasn't been up to par lately).

Thanks to everyone who is taking such good care of every part of me.     

3 comments:

sheilagh said...

Roberta, I'm pretty sure I used all the words you didn't post as the title of your message. I heard the news from Cathy this morning before I saw the blog, so Cathy got my initial verbal reactions. No need to repeat the actual words, but you know them.
Cathy did say there was a surgery date, Oct. 13th, is that right? Will it still be a lumpectomy, with radiation to follow in about a month? Is the prognosis the same for re-occurence, etc? If you know any of this, please post when you can.
I'm so sorry you have to go through this again. I love you.

Roberta said...

Hi Sheilagh!

The surgery date was just a guess, based on what my doctor said-that it would probably be in 2 weeks. But I just called her scheduler and she said she thinks it would more likely be the 20th or the 27th. She will be double checking with my doctor and get back to me with a firm date. I guess if there is anything at all that I am learning, it is that this thing is not very predictable.

What Dr. Dietz will be doing is going in and taking another section right along the previous margin, on the side that showed #@*% (dirty word). The reason they wait is because it is easier to identify that margin once the tissue has had a chance to begin healing. So, technically, it is still considered a lumpectomy aka partial mastectomy.

From what she said, I won't be meeting with the radiation oncologist until a week following the second surgery- this is because they will want to be sure that we have obtained clean margins, and know for sure that the surgical portion of my treatment is done.

It is possible that we will not obtain clean margins...if that is the case, she said they could go in another time, but it is more likely that at that point we will rethink wether the cancer may be more diffusely present in the breast, which may require a mastectomy after all. Not having clear margins would put me at a higher risk for recurrence but she reassured me the survival rate is still the same.

Enough "ifs" "ands" or "buts" to make your head spin...

Love you too!

Anonymous said...

Roberta, I know we're all Grandmas now, but does that mean we CAN'T SWEAR?!?! OK, I'll behave...After absorbing this news, my thoughts keep coming back to the fact that you are under the care of super qualified and diligent people, and really, aren't we all thankful they are being so thoroughly thorough!?!? Along with Sheilagh, I am sorry you have to go through this again-But I know in my heart you will get through it! I just see you and Tom dancing happily at Audrey Anne's wedding...Oh, and her success as a world renowned artist (runs in the family)kept her from marrying until she was 40!! Love you sister, Ruth